Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Meat Dress Makes History



It's not that I'm late on this, it's just that I think I just realized its significance...
I was on the train last night and I heard two fashion students talking about THE meat dress worn by Gaga. I remember the flurry of headlines when it first happened and these students were talking about some assignment that revolved around the concept and the meaning of the meat dress.
The one guy kept saying, "This assignment is so stupid." But the girl he was with exclaimed in frustration, "DON'T YOU GET IT, THIS IS HISTORY! H-I-S-T-O-R-Y!"
I thought back to the Met exhibit, "American Women: Fashioning A National Identity" and realized that 10 years from now, the meat dress might just make its way into the exhibit.
It was such an outrageously shocking outfit that made headlines for being SO controversial (PETA protests), making such a statement, and having many supposed meanings ("red dress" on the red carpet, gay rights military political statement, prime rib of America = equality, etc.).
For so long celebrities have worn t-shirts to make statements. This took it to a whole new level. I wonder if the message she was advertising with the meat dress made the impact it was intended to...

No comments:

Post a Comment