Tuesday, October 19, 2010

the ad that spoke to ME

I was walking around Union Square the other day. As I skipped by the Puma store (jk, grown women don't skip... or do they?), I saw the window ad version of this:
This is what went through my mind: "Humans against hibernation? How do they know I hibernate in the winter? How do they know me? Did someone from ad land hear me talking on the train last winter about hibernating? There are more like me out there in the world? Are they talking to me? Do their coats generate thermal heat? Is it a new technology? O M G!"

What a great insight to leverage. I hate how lethargic I feel in the winter. I hate that I don't want to leave the house and 85% of the conversations I have are about a) how cold I am at that moment, b) how cold it will be in the next few days, or c) how much I can't wait for it to not be cold again (re: when will spring get here already? is it summer yet?)... The only thing is, for those of us from the South who are phobic of the cold, Puma taps into a very real (and emotional) insight and gets our attention but leaves us wondering... do their products deliver a function of superior protection from the innate and compelling desire to hibernate?

Setting aside the answer for now, I love that they use the word hibernate. It's the fun, actual, real way people acknowledge their laziness and hate of cold weather.

It's super smart... but along with trying to sell me winter jackets, I wish they would extend their offer to include trips to the Caribbean! People who seek a warm, resort get-away is a definitely a human against hibernation!

No comments:

Post a Comment